Sunday 1 May 2011

The Bell Tower

The Bell Tower
Watercolour on Paper
24cm x 34cm (9.5" x 13.5")

Painting views of Venice may not be very original, but there is so much to see there and to paint. Its just a shame about all the tourists.

This is a view of the Campanile di San Marco from the Canale della Guidecca.  I like the mixture of different buildings and trees. Elaine and I stayed in the Molino Stucky Hilton on the island of Guidecca. The views from the boat on the way across to the main island are breathtaking. The hotel is in an old flour factory. If you look across at Guidecca from the main island, it is the large building at the right hand end.

This painting was harder to complete than I anticipated. I keep expecting painting to get easier, but it doesn’t happen. I think my expectations are always a little in advance of my ability so the effort required increases rather than decreases.

No comments:

Post a Comment