Sunday 11 August 2013

Sketching in the Grounds of Flintham Hall


Lion - Flintham Hall
10 August 2013
Watercolour and ink
Moleskine A4 watercolour album

Yesterday was the August meeting of the Shelford Group of Artists. Sir Robert Hildyard kindly gave us permission to spend the day sketching and painting in the extensive grounds and gardens of Flintham Hall.

We spread out to the four corners of the estate and Tony Slater must have walked miles as he circulated around the group to offer advice. The day gave me an opportunity to work on my mental block about drawing and painting outside.

My only problem with working “en plein air” is I don’t like people being able to look at quick sketches and work in progress, but this manifests as uncharacteristic dithering – I pack too much stuff and then can’t decide what to use and what to paint.

Yesterday, I had a plan. Pack very lightly and draw the first thing that interested me.

On my last sketching trip, I took three sketchbooks, two watercolour blocks and a piece of watercolour paper stuck to a board. Yesterday, I took one sketchbook.

I decided in advance that I wanted to draw something in which accurate proportions would be important, so as soon as I saw the lion, I put down my stuff and got on with it.

Statue - Flintham Hall
10 August 2013
Watercolour and ink
Moleskine A4 watercolour album

I don’t know why the thought of unsolicited criticism bothers me. I know it is more of a phobia than a sensible concern and I am gradually getting over it. I’m sure that if I fill up a few sketchbooks this will speed up the cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment