Sunday 6 November 2016

October 2016 Sketches

Cod & Lobster, Staithes
16 October 2016
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
20.3cm x 14.0cm (8.0" x 5.5")

Elaine and I spent a weekend in Staithes as part of Elaine’s extended birthday celebrations. Staithes was full of artists with easels painting every vista. On the Sunday morning, I couldn’t find a quiet place to sketch, but a heavy rain shower drove most people away. When the sun came out I had my choice of subject. I picked the Cod & Lobster because of their magnificently overfilled crab sandwiches.

In October, I participated in the InkTober challenge to draw (in ink) on every day of the month. I didn’t quite make it, but it’s a long time since I’ve had the pick of 27 sketches for a blog post.

COLLECT
3 October 2016
Ink
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 20.3cm (5.5" x 8.0")

There was a prompt for each day of the month - which I didn’t always use. The prompt for the third was COLLECT. I’ve never been much of a collector - I collected stamps for about a week as a child and that’s probably about it, but since starting painting I’ve built up a massive collection of brushes - this is a very small part of the collection.

LITTLE
21 October 2016
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
20.3cm x 14.0cm (8.0" x 5.5")

I couldn’t resist adding some colour to the iPod. I thought I’d worked out the route through the tangle of wire from the iPod to the headphones, but there are some disconnects - if you want to look for them.

SLOWly Infusing Sloe Gin
23 October 2016
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 20.3cm (5.5" x 8.0")

Kilner jars are one my favourite challenging subjects. There are multiple ellipses and the complicated clasp. This is sloe gin that Elaine has been preparing since 15 June.

I Only Wanted My Lunch
27 October 2016
Ink
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 20.3cm (5.5" x 8.0")

The can opener gave up the ghost instead of opening a can of soup for my lunch, at least I got a sketch out of it.

You can find all my InkTober 2016 sketches here https://www.flickr.com/photos/125850908@N07/albums/72157676208277075.

No comments:

Post a Comment