Sunday 14 July 2019

SketchingNow Watercolor (Lessons 1 to 2)

Summer Collection 2019 (and 2018 and 2017)
Watercolour and Ink
Moleskine A4 Watercolour Album
297mm x 210mm (11.69" x 8.27")

I’ve reached the half way point in Liz Steel’s SketchingNow Watercolor course.

Liz’s premise is that watercolour sketching (particularly on location) requires a different technique to studio painting. Her focus is on a direct approach, trying to get the desired colours and effects first time, rather than the more traditional approach of gradually building up layers of washes.

In common with her other courses. there is lots of well thought out video content and exercises.

The first lesson is about controlling water and focuses on three types of washes:

  • Watery - a lot of water for the amount of pigment.
  • Juicy - a generous load of pigment for the amount of water.
  • Pasty - mainly pigment with a little bit of water.

The second lesson is about

  • Colour mixing: how to mix two colours
  • Layering: putting one wash over another dried wash
  • Working wet: mixing paints on the paper while they are wet

The third week is primarily a review of sketches from Lessons 1 and 2. There are also some additional theory videos, an extra demo, and an exercise to paint some of your wardrobe – the clothes not the cupboard.

I’ve learnt a lot, some of it stuff I already knew, but to which I wasn’t paying sufficient attention. Perhaps the most important lessons for me are: be generous, paint with confidence (regardless of whether this is warranted or not), and paint every day.

Being generous might seem like a strange comment. I'm referencing a French film (probably Leon) in which a character observes that only generous people can make good sandwiches (or something like that). I think the sentiment holds true for many things - including watercolour painting.

2 comments:

  1. I'm taking her Buildings class right now, and I find it fabulously well-done. As you said, I was doing some of these things already, but it has made me pay attention to some new concepts. I am trying to decide if I want to do her Watercolor class or wait for the new Watercolor on Location course. I am an intermediate artist, but I do struggle with watercolor (even though I've been painting with it for two years). Is it enough new information for an intermediate artist? I already know basic techniques, and I know how to mix using pure pigments (though I still struggle a little with color mixing). Thanks in advance for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, I’ve been painting in watercolours for a few years and I benefited from Liz’s watercolour course. The approach she takes is more direct and faster than most traditional approaches to watercolour – she aims to get a lot done in a single pass of colour. This is an attitude I am trying to incorporate into my painting.

      The lessons about exploring the paints on your palette was also helpful. I’ve changed some of the colours I use based on these lessons and I intend to redo the exercise for my whole palette next winter.

      I suspect it will be useful but not absolutely necessary to do the watercolour course before the watercolour on location course.

      I just checked out Liz’ advice.

      If you need instruction (or a brush-up) on the following topics, I would recommend you check out the Watercolour course before [taking Watercolour on Location]:

      - Knowing how to mix watery, juicy and pasty washes

      - Knowing how to layer (glazing) and work wet (wet in wet)

      - Understanding basic colour theory and mixing – achieving vibrant mixes and creating watercolour magic

      - Having your own palette of colours which suits your sketching at the moment

      - Knowing the difference between working from light to dark and starting with the darks.

      There are all topics I learnt more about from the course.

      Delete