Sunday 17 January 2021

Gravel

Gravel
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
20.3cm x 14.0cm (8.0" x 5.5")

Gravel is the third topic in the Earth Textures chapter of Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice.

I struggled to find inspiring reference images of gravel. Am I odd? Does everyone else have albums full of their favourite gravel photographs? Claudia included drawings of small stones in her gravel drawings, so I took the  same approach. While I was drawing these stones, I realised how much I enjoy and miss detailed observation. I plan to do more over the next few weeks.

Hurlstone Point from Porlock Weir
Watercolour and Ink on Paper
21.5cm x 13.0cm (8.5" x 5")

The one photo of gravel I found is this view of Hurlstone Point from Porlock Weir. I've posted pictures of this view before (see The View From Porlock Weir). I prefer the colours in those earlier paintings, but I quite like the gravel in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment