Sunday 21 April 2024

A New Watercolour Palette for Sketching

New Palette
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
18cm x 18cm (7" x 7")

This is my new watercolour palette. The sketch is in the style of the colour charts Liz Steel does of her palettes (see CURRENT PALETTE – JAN 2020 by Liz Steel).

I needed a new palette because I’ve been using the lack of a suitable palette as an excuse for not sketching outdoors. I'm following Liz Steel's SketchingNow courses, so I've decided to try a palette more like hers. The colour selection is a mixture of paints I use in my main palette and paints Liz uses in her courses - like Potter Pink and Monte Amiata Natural Sienna.

Ready To Go

I've filled only one side of the pans because I'm trying a simplified version of ramp filling - which is explained in this blog post (The advantages of only partially filling watercolour pans from tubes by Jane Blundell). The idea of ramp filling is instead of having to jab into the paint and damaging the point of your brush, you can just swipe across.

There is a video with more details about setting up the pallet on my YouTube channel (https://youtu.be/7UqQuG_4VyY).

No comments:

Post a Comment