Sunday 6 July 2014

Sketch Challenge

Carnations - Gurnard's Head
19 June 2014
Ink and Water Soluble Marker
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
105mm x 149mm (4.1" x 5.9")

On previous posts, I've mentioned a desire to turn drawing and sketching into a daily habit. With this in mind, I've set a challenge to sketch for 30 minutes every day in July.

July Challenge Day 1
1 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton Heavy Weight Sketch Book
29.7cm x 21.0cm (11.75" x 8.25")

The picture at the top of the post is a sketch from Elaine and my recent holiday in Cornwall. The remaining pictures are the first five sketches from the July challenge.

July Challenge Day 2
2 July 2014
Graphite Pencil & Wax Crayon
Winsor & Newton Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

The first rule of the challenge is the sketches must be drawn or painted from life.

The second rule is I must draw or paint for exactly 30 minutes – this can be on multiple sketches. I’ve set a strict time limit for a variety of reasons. The most important is I want to understand what I can achieve in 30 minutes because Elaine and I have agreed this is a reasonable time for a sketch stop when we are out together.

July Challenge Day 3
3 July 2014
Graphite Pencil & Wax Crayon
Winsor & Newton Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

One of my goals for the challenge is not to focus on the end results.  Until now I've tended to concentrate on creating drawings I'm not embarrassed to post on this blog. This approach has some benefits, but the downside is it tends to stifle creativity and experimentation.

Old Sandal
July Challenge Day 4
4 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton Heavy Weight Sketch Book
29.7cm x 21.0cm (11.75" x 8.25")

The third rule is the sketches are not judged as finished pieces of work. They can be as complete or as incomplete as I want them to be and time allows.

July Challenge Day 5
5 July 2014
Wax Crayon
Winsor & Newton Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

During the challenge, I aim to draw a variety of subjects and not to shy away from difficult ones. This is the reason for choosing a car on the first day. The drawing is not a great success, but I've learned from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment