Sunday 27 July 2014

Sketching Challenge – Week 4


Incomplete Pine Cone
July Challenge Day 24
24 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton A4 Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

This is the last full week of the July sketching challenge - the goal is to sketch from life for exactly 30 minutes on each day in July.

I am trying to vary the subjects, but there are a few common themes. This week I chose a number of subjects that were too complicated for a 30 minute drawing.

July Challenge Day 20
20 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A6 Graduate Sketchbook
10.5cm x 14.9cm (4.1" x 5.9")

This week’s picture of Elaine was drawn on the train as we returned from London. It looks like she was asleep, but she was reading.

Spice Racks
July Challenge Day 21
21 July 2014
Graphite Pencil & Wax Crayon
Winsor & Newton A4 Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

Monday’s sketch is the spice racks in our kitchen. I realised very early in the drawing this was going to be a rush and it became a mad dash to give an impression of the different sizes and colours of the spice containers.

Ficus
July Challenge Day 22
22 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton A4 Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday’s sketches were all drawn on the patio because the weather was so warm.

Green Pepper
July Challenge Day 23
23 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton A4 Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

I was pleased I can see some development when comparing Wednesday’s drawing of a green pepper with a 30 minute drawing of a pepper I drew almost exactly a year ago (see Keys to Drawing - Chapter 1).

The pine cone at the top of the post was the most enjoyable drawing of the week. This is a subject I will return to with a more leisurely approach after the challenge is complete.

July Challenge Day 25
25 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Daler Rowney A5 Graduate Sketchbook
149mm x 210 (5.9" x 8.3")

Friday’s sketch is another scene from the churchyard. I tried to recreate the texture of the stone cross by rubbing the pencil over the paper while resting it on the stone, but this wasn't as effective as I had hoped.

Cat in a Box
July Challenge Day 26
26 July 2014
Graphite Pencil
Winsor & Newton A4 Heavy Weight Sketch Book
21.0cm x 29.7cm (8.25" x 11.75")

Saturday’s drawing was another rush. It illustrates a lesson I've learnt from this challenge. Previously, I suspect I would have spent ages trying to get the perspective of the box right before starting to draw Felix - who would then have jumped out and found somewhere else to sleep. Yesterday, my focus was on drawing him before he moved or I ran out of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment