Sunday 30 October 2011

Modelled Drawing in Ink (Continued)


Another Right Hand
Modelled Drawing - 21 October 2011
Ink on Paper
35.5cm x 38cm (14" x 15")

I am two lessons into Section 9 of the Natural Way to Draw, which means I have completed a third of the course.

Section 9 features the return of the modelled drawing in ink. I am really enjoying it and I seem to have picked up where I left off with the original exercise (see Modelled Drawing in Ink).

The instructions in Section 9 are slightly different from the original exercise. You don’t have to use a rotating scribble. The instructions encourage you to use whichever strokes best help to describe the surfaces of the subject.

This seems like an invitation to cheat because the basic premise of the exercise remains the same - describe the weight of the object and the shape of its surfaces. You are not supposed to think about edges and outlines, but sometimes my directional strokes just happen to fall along the edge of the shape. What am I supposed to do?

I ask this question a lot. Some of the book seems ambiguous and even contradictory, but this is not a bad thing. It forces you to think about the meaning and purpose of the exercises rather than blindly following instructions.

Fish Sculpture
Modelled Drawing - 17 October 2011
Ink on Paper
40.5cm x 30.5cm (16" x 12")

No comments:

Post a Comment