Saturday 29 February 2020

Eyes

Doris' Eye
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
20.3cm x 14.0cm (8.0" x 5.5")

Eyes is (are?) the second topic in the "The Look of Transparency" - Chapter 3 of Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice.

My Eye
Watercolour and Ink on Paper
280mm x 190mm (11" x 7.5")

The picture of my eye was drawn while looking in the mirror. Initially, it was an accurate observation. After I made a couple of mistakes, I had to improvise (lie), to make it read properly. Doris' eye is an ink drawing with a watercolour tint. My eye is a watercolour with some ink details.

The Sixties Want Their Picture Back
Acrylic on Paper
84.1cm x 59.4cm (33.1" x 23.4")

The picture of Doris's eye was drawn from a photograph because she won't stay still long enough to draw anything other than a gesture - unless she is asleep - which isn't the best time for drawing eyes. I manipulated the photograph in a photo editor to explore the patterns of lights and darks. This was the inspiration for the more "abstract" version.

4 comments:

  1. I've been following your blog since 2011, when I bought my own copy of Nicolaides. I didn't make it very far in my drawing journey, but I come back to your blog a few times a year and look at your artwork and progress. The top eye in this post is so brilliant, such a good example of why I remember to come back to look at your work.

    I notice that you are often working your way through an instruction book or course. Do you have any recommendations for the order someone should choose these resources? I would love to see a page where you gather links to your posts that review your thoughts on a book once you've finished with it. Best wishes, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. I was pleased with the picture of Doris’ eye. A post about all the books and courses I’ve used (or tried to use) is a great idea. It might take a few weeks to write, bit I will get on with it.

      Delete
    2. Great, wow, I'm really looking forward to it! All the best, Stephanie

      Delete
    3. Hi Stephanie - I've complied a list of the blog posts that reference each of the instruction books:

      https://learningtodrawlearningtosee.blogspot.com/p/blog-page.html

      The next step will be to add some comments about the pros and cons of each resource and suggestions about a study order.

      Delete