Sunday 31 May 2020

Waterfalls


Lightspout
Watercolour and Ink on Paper
160mm x 240mm (6.25" x 9.5")

"Waterfalls" is the penultimate topic in the "The Look of Transparency" chapter of Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice. My choice of subjects was limited to Niagara Falls or Lightspout on the Long Mynd. These are opposite ends of the waterfall spectrum and not great candidates for the techniques Claudia describes.

The topic at least served as a prompt to try a subject that I have shied away from for a long time – the photo is from 2008. It always makes me smile because I love the Long Mynd, but it is probably Elaine's least favourite venue for a walk. I was never sure why she disliked it. I suspected it was because it usually rains (heavily) every time we visit, but Elaine says its because there are no convenient pub or toilets.

I haven't made much use of pen and ink in this chapter - I'm going to make a conscious effort to do more ink drawing in the next chapter - Metallic Impressions.

No comments:

Post a Comment