Sunday 14 March 2021

Granite

The Atlantic
Watercolour on Paper
26cm x 18cm (10" x 7")

 I love the granite coastlines of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly. This picture is based on a few different photos of waves crashing on their rocky shorelines. It is a response to the Granite topic in the Earth Textures chapter of Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice.

I drew several thumbnails to work out the composition before starting the picture, but I still had to make things up as I painted. Responding to a developing painting can be a good thing, but in this case the result is less dynamic than I intended. I will have to try again. Elaine, Doris and I will be returning to Cornwall after the lockdowns are lifted, so I will use the opportunity to gather more inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment