Saturday 1 January 2022

Rainbows

Happy 2022
Watercolour on Paper
16.5cm x 12cm (6.5" x 4.75")

Rainbows is the third topic in the Skies and Weather chapter of Creating Textures in Pen & Ink with Watercolor by Claudia Nice.

I cross referenced Claudia’s advice with the section on rainbows in James Gurney’s Color and Light (A Guide for the Realist Painter). James explains  “The colors of the rainbow should be lighter than the background”. I think this is the main challenge for painting rainbows in watercolour - how do you keep the colours vibrant, but lighter than the sky. I didn’t pull it off this time, so I will have another go.

The tree in the foreground was in a neighbour’s garden. Sadly, it was sick and had to be cut down last year. I had a grandstand view from my office window of the tree surgeon taking down a tall tree in a confined space. It distracted me for a whole afternoon when I should have been working.

Happy 2022.
May the New Year bring us all peace, health and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment