Sunday 22 May 2022

Working from Life

 

Green Pepper
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
8.9cm x 14.0cm (3.5" x 5.5")

Katherine Tyrrell on the Making a Mark blog reminded me that  I am not drawing from life enough (see Making a Mark - How to describe art). 

Nibbles
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
8.9cm x 14.0cm (3.5" x 5.5")

Katherine points out the importance some artists put on drawing from life each day. Sadly, I couldn’t remember the last time I had drawn from life. 

Mmm Succulent
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 8.9cm (5.5" x 3.5")

To rectify this, I have been drawing at least a couple of line and wash sketches from life each week. 

Cheeky Gin
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 8.9cm (5.5" x 3.5")

To make this as easy as possible (both psychologically and physically), I am working in a small sketchbook (14.0cm x 8.9cm / 5.5” x 3.5”) using water brushes and a titchy half pan watercolour set. The kit is very portable and it means I can blame any deficiencies on my tools.

How Big?
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
8.9cm x 14.0cm (3.5" x 5.5")

I've never liked water brushes but I am getting on with them better since I’ve realised the importance of keeping them loaded with paint. 

Old Technology
Ink and Watercolour
Stillman & Birn Alpha Series Sketchbook
14.0cm x 8.9cm (5.5" x 3.5")

I plan to keep up the ink and wash and to include some pencil and charcoal sketches - which will allow for more thoughtful studies - and less room to blame my tools.

No comments:

Post a Comment